Wednesday 2 May 2012

277 Pea and Ham soup

I wasn't going to blog this, as I've done a pea and gammon soup - and it's this isn't a million miles away. But it was just so nice I thought I'd treat myself.  Although, if truth be told I'm scratching for anything else to blog about such is the paucity of my recent cooking efforts.

The other side effect of not planning on blogging this is that I recipe is even more slap dash than normal. Hey-ho. I can but persevere. At least with such half-arsedness I can't be accused of stealing content!

I don't think I'm tight, but I do hate to waste food. So the inspiration from this came from having the remains on an on-the-bone piece of ham. So after both literally and metaphorically butchering the ham (good butties!), there was a bone with quite a lot of small bits of ham on. Clearly a better butcher than I would have removed these without fuss.

Ingredients:
  • One ham bone
  • One onion
  • Two cloves of garlic
  • Half a bag of marrowfat peas ~500gs
  • Some water
Method:
  • Roughly chop the onion and garlic.
  • Put ham bone, onion and garlic in a pan. Cover with water.
  • Simmer
  • Allow to cool, so's not to burn my handies on the next bit
  • Messy bit this, sieve retaining the liquid and the remove the bone and any gristly bits
  • Add the ham lumps to the liquid
  • Add the peas, bubble until cooked, adding extra water if needed
  • Blitz, taste and add salt to taste
I like my soups thick, so maybe I should have added more water. The combination of the peas and the gelatin(?) coming out of the bone meant that this stuff was solid at room temperature - now that's a thick soup!
Kind of looks like ice-cream doesn't it? Ham ice-cream - not good!

Anyways, once again happy if rather trumpy days.

2 comments:

  1. Trumpy indeed! Now that is a thick soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey this is really so nice post i am so inspired here could you more share here i will be back to you as soon as possible.
    Thanks for sharing...
    Garden centre Western Isles

    ReplyDelete

Go on leave me a message (but don't be mean):