Friday 30 April 2010

Post 202: Gobi Gohst or Gohst Gobi with added Kohl Rabi

I realise people could be starting to think this was a gardening blog, so long has it been since I've posted any cooking. The trouble is recently I've only eaten things I've posted several times already and so, well I've just err not bothered.

However, I've not given up. Looking in the freezer I found some lamb. Mrs VegBox was due to be out. Which meant I was allowed to cook said lamb. Looking at the remains ok this week's VegBox, I found a cauliflower. Cauliflower and Lamb. Sorted. A quick google, clicking through on the top link and I found a recipe - which added things to a 'standard bhuna sauce'; I've little idea what one of those really is. So I just thought sod it and made it up myself.

Starting with the sauce:
  • 1 really big onion very finely chopped (I wanted the onion lumps not to be noticeable in the sauce) and fried in oil slowly
  • 4 big cloves of garlic thinly sliced (however you want really, but I was just playing with my nice new big knife)
  • 4 red chillies; well you want a little life in it don't you
  • 2 tea spoons of lazy ginger (still from the free stuff I got), which was one of only two bits I used from the recipe I'd google-d
All these were cooked together until the onions were translucent and soft. To them I added some spices; a big shake of curry powder, a small handful of curry leaves and the obligatory salt and pepper
  • I cut the cauliflower into florets and boiled that in water for 15 minutes until it had started to go soft
  • I'd also found a Kohl Rabi; regular readers will know these aren't my favourite. so in an effort for this to add body to the sauce, I grated it
  • I then put the everything together along with a tin of chopped tomatoes to simmer together. There was a bit too much vegetable, so I topped up with water, and a squeeze of tomato puree
  • I then floured the lamb, fried it jam-hot to seal and dropped that in too
  • I simmered the whole lot for 20 minutes before I tasted. And it was it was hot-spicy, but lacking depth as they might say on MasterChef. I then remembered a 2nd thing from the googled recipe; which was to add some Garam Masala add the end. Et voila; super-duper starship trouper!
And here it is:

 I can't say that grating some Kohl Rabi in it worked; it was still noticeable. However it certainly didn't make anything any worse; so this was a success in using something up at least.
It was so good, I may even repeat this the next time I'm allowed to cook lamb!


4 comments:

  1. It looks good. I love a lamb curry. I think you should give up on the kohlrabi and maybe leave it on that chap's doorstep next time you get some. I made a mighty fine curry when we were away, except I misread my dad's writing on a frozen packet of stock and what I thought was chicken stock was actually fish stock. Oh well, our chicken curry wasn't too fishy in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be right about the Kohl-Rabi - but I've been unsuccessful in asking for various vegetables to be excluded (particularly jerusalem artichokes; I just can't get in to them).

    Good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me fooled for a while - It was all looking good until the lamb went in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, just slipped the lamb in at the end there didn't I?

    It wouldn't have been all that good without the lamb - but swapping lamb for potatoes would have made a nice if very unauthentic Aloo Gobi. Would have been good still.

    ReplyDelete

Go on leave me a message (but don't be mean):