Sunday 20 December 2009

Post 147: Aloo Gobi or Potato and Cauliflower curry

I've been a bit slow posting this one. I'd planned on cooking this as a main, even though it's generally  considered to be only a side dish.  It's a very english thing to always have meat in a curry, so why not leave it out every now and then?

I didn't try to make this authentic in any way; I just wanted to make a big pan of something healthy and tasty. Here's the recipe:
- 2 biggish onions chopped fairly fine and fried (trying to use as little oil as possible)
- 7 birds eye chillies and 5 cloves of garlic added towards the end
- Spices added in: curry powder (big shake), cayenne, cumin powder, coriander (little shakes) 
- 1 cauliflower chopped into florets
-  About the same amount of potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- Cover with stock (about a pint and a half for me) add a squeeze of tomato puree for colour and sweetness. Then  simmer for an age, until the potatoes were disintegrate a bit and it all combines into a thick mush.

 
  
Served with rice. And a Budweiser (well, go on - it was two) - I had to have something to balance up all this health, didn't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on leave me a message (but don't be mean):