Wednesday 14 October 2009

Post 115: Moulash

Yes, I know, I just made that up. But there follows a proper recipe! I was struggling with what to cook after finding myself in the strange position of having used up almost all the veggies by tuesday.

Scraping around. I found: 2 onions (the sole remnants from the box), 2 peppers, 1 1/2 courgettes and a sack of spuds. Meat wise, there was a 1 1/2lbs of beef cubes. I fancied goulash, as I've not done that in a while; but I couldn't find any rice to go with. So after a bump to the head, I came up with a new concept of moulash. Goulash taste but served like moussaka. It's a winner!


- par boil some potatoes and slice into 3/4's cm slices
- cut the beef into thinner strips and fry to deal in a fairly large load of flour
- dice the onions and fry off with paprika, garlic, cayenne pepper and a couple of chillies (I just couldn't resist, but it's probably not necessary needed), add in the peppers
- Fry the sliced courgette until soft
- Layer the whole lot, leaving aside enough potatoes for the top
- Add in the sauce, made of 1 x tin of chopped tomatoes, 1 x bottle of red wine and a bit of leftover passata

Cook sio that it just bubbles for as long as you've got; at least > 2 hours. I cooked mine for 5 hours and by the time I scooped into it, the sauce as really thick and the layers all stayed in place after I'd taken the spoon out. Nice. Just a shame I hadn't saved any wine back to drink with it.

What do I do the rest of the week now that I'm vegetable-less?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on leave me a message (but don't be mean):