Tuesday 19 May 2009

Post 37: Muck, muck glorious muck; nothing quite like it for filling your raised beds

Having found out that a cubic metre of soil weighs a tonne. I thought I'd need a tonne and a half for my three raised beds. To get this, I bought two tonnes of soil. I knew this would be quite a lot, but lordy them bags is huge;

What I hadn't initially though of was how to get the soil from the front of the house round to the back. Seeing the size of the bags, bucket-by-bucket didn't seem like a great plan. The obvious option would of course have been to use a wheelbarrow; only I've not got one. So, I recycled the usage of my recycling wheelie bin and used that instead.
I'm not sure it's much of an ergonomic design. However three wheelie bin trips later I had some filled beds. The only trouble is, that even after the beds have settled a bit and I've topped them up, I've still got a 1 and 1/4 of soil left. I hadn't factored for the soil I'd re-use from the digging out. Oh well, I'm sure I can find other uses for it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on leave me a message (but don't be mean):