Sunday 6 February 2011

230: Tilapia and Sweet Potato Fishcakes, Levi Roots recipe

You wait weeks for a new post and then there's only a starter sized dinner.

I'd got my parentals coming round so wanted a two-course menu for this I decided on a caribbean theme. Act 1 was the winner. This came from Levi Roots's cookbook, unusually for me, I followed the recipe fairly closely. Ingredients:
  • 500gs sweet potato
  • 3 tilapia fillets (roughly 400gs, these were bone free which made things easy, but they were £2 each - which doesn't make these cheap fishcakes)
  • 100gs bread crumbs
  • Zest of 1 lime
  • Pinch nutmeg
  • Salt and peppter
  • Flour to dust
  • 3 chillies for fun
  • The green parts of 6 spring onions (Levi used less - or maybe my spring onions were particularly small)
Method:
  • Chop, then boil, then mash the sweet potato
  • Poach the tilapia in milk for 5 minutes. Then dry
  • Chop chillies finely. Then mix sweet potato, lime zest and chillies
  • Flake in fish (Levi says to cut; but it just flaked easy enough)
  • Form into 8 fishcakes
  • Dust in the flour
  • Dust with breadcrumbs (these didn't stick all that well, so I patted them in a bit)
  • Fry in Olive oil ~8 minutes
The edges of the fishcakes crisped up really nicely. Inside the texture was pretty crumbly - which I'm not sure if that's the they were intended to be; but I liked it. I could have made them a bit smoother if I'd put the sweet potato through a ricer, or made the fish pieces a bit smaller.
Really good. Many thanks Mr Roots. To be repeated.

PS: I did serve them with a help-yourself-salad.

3 comments:

  1. They look delicious, 3 chillies indeed, those fishcakes were hot! I missed ya. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh fishcakes... haven't had fishcakes for years... these look good tho... nice and hot too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They weren't all that hot. My better half thinks I should have used more.

    Cheers guys, it's good to be back. Or maybe not.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Go on leave me a message (but don't be mean):