Sunday 1 January 2012

268: Quick Advocat Ice-Cream

As well as my half dozen cook-books, I also got an Ice-Cream maker for Christmas. This is was my first foray in to ice-cream making. For first time out, I took the easy/quick option which is to start with ready made custard.

This recipe is lifted straight from the Andrew James Ice Cream made easy book.Ingredients, I just tried to Christmassy it up by throwing advocat in at the end:
  • 425ml custard
  • 284ml double cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 table spoons caster sugar
  • 50-75ml's advocat (~1 inch's worth out of the bottle), which was my own addition
Method:

  • Mix the liquids and sift in the sugar
  •  Then pour into the maker, and switch on. 15  minutes later, and lo it was ice-cream
  •  It seems to be done when it's thicken in consistency and increased in volume.
  •  It's still quite sloppy at this stage, so it needs to go in the freezer for 2 - 3 hours. This bit is quite messy, I seemed to end up with ice-cream everywhere.


  • After this, it's a normal / slightly firm ice-cream texture. The advocat was insufficient to make much difference to the taste, so that was rather a waste. What is different, is that it's super-creamy. It tastes almost more creamy than cream. I realise even as I write that, that this doesn't really seem to make sense. This might be to do with the texture, it's got much less air in it that normal shop bought ice-cream. Which is pretty good; it tastes like super luxury ice-cream. Nice!

    Since I've made this, I've been taking every opportunity to eat it - here's some from a hot-choc ice-cream float that rounded off a very soggy New Year's day walk.


    2 comments:

    1. nothing beats home made ice cream. That is the best present ever. Shame about the advocaat not coming through. Looking forward to more ice cream adventures

      ReplyDelete
    2. I was pretty impressed on Christmas morning I can tell you!

      ReplyDelete

    Go on leave me a message (but don't be mean):